Here is a classic Vietnamese curry soup using chicken and vegetables. Though it's a soup, Vietnamese typically use curry powder instead of a curry paste to flavor the soup. Ironically, a little touch of Maggi soy sauce really enhances the flavor of this soup -- living up to my Vietnamese roots here. Why change a good thing? I hope you will enjoy this simple, healthy and delicious recipe.
RECIPE for 4 servings
1 lb of chicken breast, cubed
1 lb of yukon potatoes or similar, cubed
1/2 large white onion, diced
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups of frozen vegetables
4 tbs of curry powder
4 cups of milk
1 cup of water, more if needed
Maggi soy sauce and salt to taste
Fresh ground black pepper
1. First marinade the chicken with 3 tbs of soy sauce, 2 tbs of curry powder, 1 tsp black pepper, and 1 tbs of onion and garlic. Toss and wait for pan to get hot.
2. Add a little oil in a hot pot and add in the garlic and onion. Once slightly cooked, add in the chicken. Sear the chicken for 3 -4 mins.
3. Add in the potatoes and more curry powder to your liking.
4. Add in about 1 cup of water and cook for 10 mins or until potato is cooked.
5. Following is adding the veggies and milk. Cook for another 7 mins so it's cooked down.
6. Season the soup to your taste using salt and or soy sauce.
7. Serve soup with some bread such as baguette.