Something about the crispy egg noodle that is super addictive to me. I love the crunchiness of the noodles and can eat just that alone with a light drizzle of soy sauce. Paired the noodle with veggies and seafood, and you have yourself a one-dish meal with all the nutrients needed for your body. Remember to use the freshest seafood you can find and don't over cook them. It's okay to substitute in with other proteins like beef, pork, tofu, etc., and same with the veggies. Cook what you like to eat and it'll always be satisfying!
RECIPE for 5-6 servings
1 small carrot, about a handful, sliced in rounds
1 handful of snow peas
1 handful of button mushroom, quartered
1/2 a large red bell pepper, cut into 2x2 chunks
1 handful of broccoli tops, cut into 2x2 chunks
1/2 a large white onion, thick cut lengthwise
3-4 large cloves of garlic, minced and divided
1/2 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined with tail on
1/2 lb chicken breast, sliced 1x2 chunks
2-3 cuttlefish, size of your hand, cut into 4-5 rounds, leave tentacles whole
2 bundles of fresh egg noodles
2 tbs corn starch
Salt, pepper, sugar
1. Let's fry up the noodle:
Add about 1.5 inch of cooking oil to the wok. Have the heat on high for the oil to be hot, about 3-4 mins.
Separate the egg noodle to unravel it from the bundle. Take 1 short strand of noodle to test the hot oil. Oil must be hot for the noodle to puff up.
Drop in the noodle, just one bundle at a time. Use the chopsticks to maneuver the noodle in the wok so it's in a layer.
Count for about 8-10 seconds while the noodle is frying and use chop sticks to flip the noodle over to the other side. The noodle should be golden, but not brown.
The second side of the noodle should fry a few seconds faster. Watch out for it to be golden and then remove immediately.
(See my YouTube video to see how easy it is to fry the noodle!)
- Before moving on to the stir-frying, remove all the oil from the wok. Use a metal large spoon to remove the oil and then use paper towel to clean the wok out. We'll use this same wok for the stir-fry next.
2. Let's marinade the chicken:
Add in a dash of black pepper, salt and sugar. Set aside until wok is ready.
3. Heat up wok. Add 2 tbs of cooking oil then add in 1/2 tbs of minced garlic to the hot wok and then the chicken next. Cook for 4-5 mins.
4. Add in the calamari, with a dash of salt and pepper. Then add in shrimp, with a dash of salt, pepper and sugar.
5. Stir-fry until opaque, about 3-4 mins. Then add in 1 tbs of oyster sauce.
6. Use a large spoon to scoop all the chicken and seafood and place directly on the plate of crispy noodle.
7. Now, let's cook the veggies:
Still on high heat, add 1 tbs of cooking oil. Then add garlic and white onion to the hot wok. Add in a dash of salt and stir-fry. Cook for 2-3 mins.
8. Add in carrots and broccoli, then 1/2 cup of water to the wok. Season with a dash of salt. Set heat on med-high. Cook for 3-4 mins.
9. Prepare the corn starch mixture by mixing all these ingredients :
3 tbs of water
2 tbs of corn starch
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbs oyster sauce
10. Still on med-hi heat, add in the rest of the veggies to the wok. Toss for a minute, then add in the corn starch mixture. Stir-fry for another 5-7 mins then scoop out to the noodle plate.
Serve immediately with a side of soy sauce or the "punched up soy sauce" and add to your individual plate of noodle according to your taste.