Yes, I like this dish's name to be like those from a restaurant menu. What's not to like as this dish will please on various levels. You get a bundle of fresh rice noodle that is crispy on the outside after the hot-wok-frying and soft inside for the perfect amount of chewiness. For the "delight" part, you'll need a mix of jumbo shrimps with fresh vegetables. The snap peas and yellow bell peppers really give this plate of noodles beautiful textures and colors. You can't go wrong serving this up!
RECIPE for 4 servings
1 package of fresh, wide-1-inch cut noodles
1/2 lb jumbo shrimp, deveined and shelled, with tail on
1 handful of snap peas
1 handful of carrots, sliced thin
1 small yellow bell pepper, slice thin
1 small white onion, sliced lengthwise
1 handful of napa cabage, chopped
2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
3 tbs of oyster sauce
1/2 cup of water
Fresh ground black pepper
How to wok-fry the noodles
1. Heat up wok with a couple rounds of cooking oil.
2. Separate the noodles pieces. You should have 2 portions of the noodles per package.
3. Once oil is hot, place in the first portion of noodles. Do not stir the noodle but let it stay in place and cook until the edges is slightly golden and looking crunchy. Let it fry for about 6-8 mins. Then flip it over to the other side and fry it to golden. Repeat with the second batch of the fresh noodles.
4. Remove the noodle to a large platter and top with the sauteed toppings.
(You may need to use scissors to pre-cut the noodle so it's easier to manage at the dinner table.)
How to saute the toppings
1. Heat up wok with a little cooking oil. Add in carrot slices and a pinch of salt and a tbs of water. Saute for 1-2 mins until slightly soft. Then add in napa cabbage, with a pinch of salt and 1 tbs of water. Cook for 1-2 mins. Lastly, add in the yellow bell pepper and snap peas. Saute all the veggies for another 1-2 mins until slightly cook but still have a crunch. Then remove to the large platter.
2. Add a little oil to wok. Add in garlic and white onion. Saute for 2 mins and add in the shrimp. Add 3 tbs of oyster sauce and black pepper. Saute for 1 min and add back all the veggies and stir-fry for 1-2 mins. Add in 1-2 tbs of water so that it's not too dry.
5. Top the crunchy noodle with saute shrimp and veggies.
Enjoy with a side of pickled serrano pepper and dipping soy sauce.