Fried rice is one of the classic Vietnamese dishes. There's infinite ways to have your fried rice, pretty much you can add anything to the fried rice. In this case, the salted fish is one of the favorites. Here I'm using fresh and dried salted fish, like jerky but fish instead of beef. Add some color to this dish with colorful veggies like red or orange bell pepper, green scallions, and basil. It's what I call a deluxe fried rice. I hope you will make an opportunity to make this dish soon.
RECIPE for 4 servings
3 cups cooked rice
1/2 a filet of dried salted fish, about 5x4 inch piece, diced
1/2 lb of fresh white fish, tilapia, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup of small dried shrimp
2 links of Chinese sweet sausage, diced
2 eggs, scrambled
1/2 red or orange bell pepper, diced
1 small white onion, diced
3-4 garlic, minced
1 bunch of basil
3-4 stalks of scallion, use entire stalk including the green part
1. Heat up wok on high. Add 1 tbs oil to wok and add in sausage. Let it render for 2-3 mins. Lower heat to med-hi and add in dried shrimp, salted fish, white onion, then garlic. Fry all for 3-4 minus.
2. Make space in the middle of wok, add 1 tbs of oil and add in fresh fish. Season fish directly with 1/2 tbs fish sauce. Cook on med-hi heat until fish is opaque, about 3-4 mins.
3. Make space in middle of wok, add in 1 tbs of oil and drop in the eggs. Break the yolks with spatula and flip them over to fry. Use spatula to break egg into bite size portion, all done within the wok.
4. Add 1 tsp sugar to wok. Stir well all in wok, but gently so the ingredients are not smashed up.
5. Add rice, use hand to separate it before dropping into pan. Add a little oil and continue to fry the rice on med-hi heat. Separate rice until it's all evenly fried, with even shine and color.
6. Add in chopped onion and basil at when rice is all evenly fried.
7. Add in orange bell pepper as the last step. Turn off heat, but continue to toss the fried rice evenly. That heat alone will cook the bell pepper.
8. Transfer to a large platter to serve.
Optional side: Green Mango Salad and Fish Sauce Dressing
Dressing to be drizzle on top of mango salad as well as the fried rice for added flavor.
1 medium green mango, shredded/julienned, then cut to 3-inch portion
Add chopped cilantro on top with slictoed thai chili pepper
2 tbs premium fish sauce
1-2 fresh thai chili pepper, sliced thin and mix with fish sauce